All circulating library materials are checked out for a period of two weeks with the following exceptions:
- Puzzles may be checked out for two months.
- Certain materials in the library’s Reference Collection and Local History/Genealogy Collection do not circulate or have a limited checkout period.
- Current issues of magazines do not circulate.
- Items borrowed from other libraries will circulate according to the lending library’s circulation policy.
Children are not limited to materials in the juvenile collections. Parents must supervise their own child’s selection of library materials.
Limits on the number of items that may be borrowed are determined by the Library Director and designated Staff. Temporary restrictions may be necessary if there is a shortage of materials in certain areas or in order to ensure that an entire collection is not checked out at one time.
Lending policies may be waived for an individual in special circumstances with the specific permission of the Library Director or designated staff. Vacation checkouts for extended periods of time are available only on Chatham Area Public Library materials at the discretion of the staff.
- All circulating items owned by the Chatham Area Public Library may be renewed in person, by telephone, or by computer via the Library's website for an additional two week period unless there are requests on the title.
- Items owned by other libraries within the SHARE automated catalog database may be renewed if there are no outstanding requests for the item. One renewal is possible if no requests are outstanding. The length of the loan period per checkout and renewal is set by the lending library.
C. Interlibrary Loans
- When resident patrons would like materials that are not available within SHARE, Chatham Area Public Library Staff may request those materials outside of SHARE. This process is called interlibrary loan, or ILL.
- When materials are borrowed via interlibrary loan, the policies governing that loan, including the circulation period, are determined by the lending library. Patrons borrowing through interlibrary loan must respect the due dates established by the lending library so that the Chatham Area Public Library will not lose the privilege of borrowing materials for any of its patrons. It is crucial, therefore, that materials borrowed through interlibrary loan be returned in a timely manner. Habitual failure to do so will result in individual loss of this privilege for the patron so that we may preserve the service for others.
- Patrons may place a request for any circulating item that is available in the SHARE database either directly through their online account in the public access catalog on the Library’s website or with the help of the Library Staff.
- The Library Staff will attempt to notify the patron when the requested item becomes available. The information is also available through a patron’s account in the public access catalog site. The requested item will be held for seven days for the patron. After that time the item is made available for circulation or returned to the lending library.